I am going to begin regular postings here of statistics and analysis of the Tolkien Fan Fiction Survey that I ran in 2015. New posts will appear as often as I can manage. I will post links as well on my Tumblr under the tag tolkien fan fiction survey, so Tumblrites may find it easier to follow me or my tag there. I’ll also do periodic roundups on the Silmarillion Writers’ Guild Dreamwidth community.
This post introduces the survey and will be where I collect links to other documents, important background information, et cetera.
Background on the Survey
The Tolkien Fan Fiction survey was an online survey conducted using Google Forms. It was submitted for and approved by the Institutional Review Board of American Public University, where I was a graduate student at the time. You can find the consent form and the questions asked in the survey here.
(If you’d like to see results discussed here for any particular question or topic, please ask! I’d love for this to actually be interesting to people other than me.)
The survey opened on 24 December 2014 and closed on 30 November 2015. It was open to both readers and writers of Tolkien-based fan fiction.
When the survey was closed, 1,074 respondents had submitted responses. Twenty-two of those responses had to be eliminated for one of the following reasons:
- The participant did not consent to participate (n = 1).
- The participant answered NO to the first question: “Do you read and/or write Tolkien-based fan fiction, or have you done so in the past?” An answer of NO to this question to the participant immediately to the thank-you page and did not allow further responses (n = 15).
- The participant answered NO to the questions “Do you write Tolkien-based fan fiction, or have you done so in the past?” and the question “Do you read Tolkien-based fan fiction, or have you done so in the past?” (n = 6).
The final number of participants (n) used in calculations for this study is therefore 1,052.
Use of the Survey and Results
The data from the survey is available to other researchers who want to use it. Please email me at DawnFelagund@gmail.com if you would like a copy of the data.
Each week, I intend to present some of the results of the survey, including graphs and charts. All of this is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. What the heck does that mean??
- You may use anything I post about the survey for nonprofit purposes. You can use the data or results in your own work. You can reprint/repost whole graphs and posts if you want. You don’t have to ask first! However …
- You must credit me clearly and explicitly for anything you use. Please credit me as Dawn Walls-Thumma in academic or non-fannish contexts and as Dawn Felagund in fannish spaces and either link to the post you are using or to the general Tolkien Fan Fiction Survey category here: http://themidhavens.net/heretic_loremaster/category/tolkien-fan-fiction-survey/
- I very much appreciate a heads-up if you are using or discussing my work, not because I want to check up on you but because I want to read what you and your followers have to say about it! A link left on the post you are using is great, or email me at the address below.
- If you want to use my work outside the conditions of this license, please email me first at DawnFelagund@gmail.com. (For example, if you want to use my results in a for-profit project or if you can’t meet my requirements for credit, contact me first. I’m most likely going to be cool with it, but I reserve the right to make that decision.)
Master List of Posts
Ainur help me to actually keep this up to date …
“Tolkien Fan Fiction Survey” by Dawn Walls-Thumma is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
You may use, share, repost, or reprint the statistics and information in this post in any nonprofit project. If you do so, you MUST credit me with my name (Dawn Walls-Thumma in academic/professional contexts or Dawn Felagund in fannish contexts) and link to the Tolkien Fan Fiction Survey category on my blog: http://themidhavens.net/heretic_loremaster/category/tolkien-fan-fiction-survey/
For permissions not covered by this license or any questions, email me at DawnFelagund@gmail.com.
See the Tolkien Fan Fiction Survey masterpost for more information on this project, permissions, et cetera, et cetera.